Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Top 5 Tuesday: Trilogy time

This week’s “Top 5” stays on the movie beat, b/c it’s something most people can talk/argue about and I’ve watched a lot of movies since moving to Iowa - lots of time alone in the evenings does that to a man.
During the past 2 years, I created a movie trilogy/series bracket (very similar to the NCAA basketball bracket) and had my Facebook friends vote on the pairings. It’s been fun to watch, though disappointing at times, but my friends voted for the better one most of the time. However, I never voted unless it was to break a tie.

Now it’s my turn.

I expect some disagreement with my list. I’ve thought about this for a few days and this is what I’ve come up with, so please comment and discuss.

Honorable Mention: The Godfather - I’ve never sat down and actually watched them, plus I’ve heard the 3rd one is bad; Spider-Man - I enjoy the movies, but they weren’t top 5 worthy; Die Hard 1-3 - also a great trilogy and love them, but there is a 4th and the 2nd one wasn’t that great; Hannibal Lecter - Silence of the Lambs is incredible, but the others weren’t up to par; Matrix - another great 1st one but trailed off with #2 and #3; Indiana Jones - it pains me not to have this on the list, but there is a 4th and it’s awful, I considered having 1-3 on there but I chose not to cheat the list, otherwise it would be up there.

5. Bourne - This action-filled trilogy starts when he forgets who he is and finishes the way it should - with him returning to the place it began and getting revenge on those who hunted him. The fast-paced action sequences are awesome, but you also begin to see and feel a softer, human side of Jason Bourne throughout the trilogy.

4. Back to the Future - 1.21 gigiwatts, 88 mph and poof! We’re off into time travel. Michael J. Fox’s Marty McFly was one of the best movie characters from the 80s and maybe of all-time. This trilogy has enough action, humor and suspense to keep you watching. They travel back in time, to the future and then further back in time. Plus, the Delorean is a sweet looking car, though it didn’t last long.

3. Toy Story - Here is my first big surprise of the list. Some of you might argue this isn’t better than the 2 previous or some on the honorable mention list, but wait a second. People of all ages love these movies and they make us all want to be a kid again. Although the 3rd movie jumps way ahead in time, it might be the best one. All 3 are very good movies - none of them drop off in quality. The actors voices are perfect for the roles. It just makes you wonder, what do our toys do when we aren’t there?

2. Star Wars original trilogy - OK, another shocker. Many of you expected this to be first. It was a hard choice to make. The original trilogy, NOT THE NEW TRILOGY - YUCK!!,  had to be 1st or 2nd. Star Wars are the movies that people will be talking about forever. We love Jedis, light sabers, the force, Chewbacca, R2D2 and Darth Vader’s Imperial March music. The movies are still huge 35 years after the 1st one came out in theater. It was nearly a coin-flip decision for 1st-2nd, but Star Wars might be the best #2 on any of my lists.

1. Lord of the Rings - While many of you might be mad about Star Wars taking #2, you can’t argue that LOTR isn’t a worthy #1. It’s hard to distinguish which trilogy is better, because both are epic and captured a generation or generations’ hearts. I gave the nod to LOTR for a couple reasons. First, the movies were filmed back-to-back and they don’t skip time in between movies. It’s one very long journey from the beginning of the Fellowship to the end of Return of the King. Second, the story touches your heart. The story by J.R.R. Tolkien is incredible and the fight of good vs. evil is epitomized throughout this long journey. Third, the graphics and detail in the movies is 2nd to none. Now, I know Star Wars was filmed long ago and those graphics are great for the time. Maybe it’s newer generation in me, but the graphics played a small role in this decision. Lastly, Orc or Urukhai scare me much more than Stormtroopers haha!

So there’s the list. I know the top 2 will be debated and argued, but this is my list. What would be on your Top 5 movie trilogies?

2 comments:

Kbbraud said...

I say Star Wars is better than LOTR because I could make it past the first half hour in Star Wars.

jmt said...

I love Bourne, of course. I need to see Toy Story 3, and probably 2 just to remember how it goes. Toy Story is great because it truly brings all ages together through classic toys, bringing them to life. I like it being on the list. I'm not big into the sci-fi that is ST or LOTR....I'm more of a classic.